Never thought I would be so happy to see tax forms, but the IRS finally sent a shipment of instruction booklets for the 1040 form, so we won’t have to rely on our intuition to fill it out.

The Library has the following paper IRS forms free for the taking:

  • 1040 & Instructions
  • 1040 A & Instructions
  • 1040 EZ & Instructions
  • Various schedules and forms to be filed with the 1040 and 1040 A, including the Earned Income Credit (Schedule EIC)

You can also download forms and instructions at, or visit the “Free File” section of that site to learn about free options for online filing.

We also have Vermont booklets with all the major Vermont forms and instructions.  But please note: the booklet doesn’t include the Landlord certificate.  Landlords have to obtain the blank forms directly from the Vermont Department of taxes: (866) 828-2865 or  Renters have to obtain the completed forms from their landlords.

If you want to investigate e-filing for Vermont state taxes, check out this page:  Don’t let the “2009” worry you; if you follow the link, it leads you to information about filing 2010 taxes.

If you need help preparing your taxes, there are several free local services available.   SEVCA offers services for people who live or work in Windham or Windsor county with a household income at or below $49,000: dial 2-1-1 to learn more.  AARP can help as well: call Jean Cornish at (802) 365-7222 for more information, including details on income eligibility.

photo courtesy of: